Sunday, September 18, 2016

And they are off!! First ride on the OTTB, Vince

After a month of letting Vince figure out how to be a NON race horse and doing lots and lots of bond strengthening ground work, it was time to mount up.  As a mom, letting your kid, even if she's an 18 year old with tons of riding experience, get on a new horse is always a little nerve wracking.  Getting on one that has never done anything but run like the wind...even more so I guess.

When the day came, I wanted reinforcements around - at least a team of two on the ground.  We enlisted Maggie to help out since she has the most experience in this area and I stepped back to just take pictures.

It was pretty uneventful.  Vince stood perfectly still while Madison mounted up.  He walked off nicely and was a perfect gentleman!  They even did a tiny bit of trotting with nothing to get excited about.  They called it quit after about 10 minutes and we all celebrated a successful start.


I think it's obvious from the smile on Madison's face that she was very happy with how the first ride went!

Hugs and kisses for this big goober were in order.  Now we just need to get some more weight on him so doesn't look like such a little horse under Madison's long legs.




This pair is going to be doing some great things in a couple of years!


1 comment:

OnTheBit said...

I love it! My favorite thing about OTTB's that no matter what you are doing, if they get tense or stressed, just let the reins get nice and long and they will slow down no matter what. I know she is not my kid, but I find OTTBs to be smart and sensible so I wouldn't worry too much, especially since she is doing things the right way! I think it will be a great project for her! I can't wait to read all about it!