Sunday, September 13, 2009

A Horsey Kind of Day







Horses: It was a beautiful day - a late summer blessing kind of day in the upper 70's with plenty of sunshine. And a new camera to play with. After a tough work out we turned Stanley out to the pasture to graze and play with his buddies...

Motocross: Motocross Boy went out to MPX for his second to last race up there. The day didn't start out too good when his bike started bogging out before finishing the last moto. They pushed his bike across the finish line so he didn't get a DNF (Did Not Finish). That was the 65 Open Class. While trying to figure out what was wrong he missed the first moto for the 65 Senior class...but then someone came through to lend them the parts they needed and he was back. I think he'd lost his momentum by then and while he ran and finished those last two motos he didn't do very well....

Homeschooling: I feel like I've been making this decision forever but I finally settled on Adaptive Curriculum's Science for Equestrian Girl. She tried it out last week on a free trial and really liked it. You do online experiments by dragging and dropping test tubes, beakers, scales, etc. It's pretty cool. So cool that I thought I'd let Motocross Boy trial their math curriculum this week. I still REALLY love Aleks math but if the Adaptive Curriculum math is more engaging and he likes it better, I'm all for it.

I'm also trying out a new online scheduling and tracking program at www.homeschoolskedtrack.com It's free so I have little risk. It took me a few hours this weekend to get it all set up but if it works out the way I hope it will, it should be really helpful in keeping track of grades and being able to produce reports.

We are finally back this week to a FULL week of school. Through August we gradually built up to 3 days per week and then September 1 we pushed to 4 days per week so this will be our first 5 day week. I'm sure I'll get some backlash but the new scheduling system only gives them one day at a time so hopefully it won't look like so much!

No comments: