Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Horses














Horses: I love these pictures. I love how Equestrian Girl looks to be wrapped between the two horses and all their heads are so close together. Both were taken with my new Nikon...I'm so pleased with it!

Motocross: This Sunday is Motocross Boy's last race at MPX...but the forecast is for rain the day before, the day of, and the day after. Not good.

Homeschooling: So a nationally recognized education expert hired by the government to diagnose why our schools are failing says something to the effect that, "There's no cure. You need to do it yourself." Huh. Sounds like that's exactly what all us homeschoolers are doing.

And ponder this as I have recently. My boss was very upset that his 18 year old wasn't going to graduate with his class - he'd need to take a summer school class and would get his diploma in August. Where did we get this notion that ALL kids must graduate high school by the time they are 18? I think the majority of parents would agree that there are many 18 year olds that are just not ready to go off to college on their own and I think many Freshman college grades would support that. So why does our public school system push that? I realize keeping them longer is going to cost more but at what TRUE cost? Why do we need to have such a stigma about graduating at 18? Could our public schools do better if kids spent 5 years in high school? Many of our college students take 5 years...so what's the big deal? Maybe if we gave them 5 years in high school they wouldn't NEED 5 years in college..but so what if they do? What's the rush? I'm quite sure Equestrian Girl will be done with her high school curriculum before she's 18 and ready to take some college level classes. Motocross Boy...I'm not going to rush him. I really don't care if he's 21 when he graduates from college. But when he does, he'll be ready.


No comments: