Thursday, October 29, 2009

Thinking Thursday

Horses: This was one of the judges at the last show. I don't know his name since there were 4. But this picture talks to me. He epitomizes what I think a horse show judge should look like. And honestly I bet I've only see one or two that even comes close to this image and about half have been women, but this is the image in my mind and he happened to be at this last show and posed himself for my picture (not that he knew he did).


I included this picture because of some comments about my desire to have my daughter wear a helmet at all times. This is just one side of the arena during a practice and it was taken JUST after they opened the arena to practice so it wasn't actually all that crowded yet and nobody was moving faster than a jog. First, you won't see a single helmet. What you can see (well, probably not) are several very young and inexperience horses. People bring young horses to shows all the time. Not to show, just to expose them to the show environment and to ride them in the arena with all the other horses. I understand this and accept it. But those horses are also completely unpredictable (more so than most well trained show horses) and an accident can happen in the blink of an eye in an arena packed with horses and helmet-less people. I'm probably more paranoid than most. I have Equestrian Girl walk Stanley from our little barn to the arena with a halter and lead, not his bridle, because it safer. I don't let anyone stand just behind his cross ties in case he backs up. When I think something might spook him I make sure he's facing it if possible. I'm cautious by nature and it's served me well. I don't plan on letting my daughter be any different when it comes to horses. The minute you stop being cautious is when you get hurt.

Motocross: The boys want to go bad this weekend but the weather isn't looking good at all. As in LOTS of rain. We've learned from experience that Baja is terrible in the rain. There are literally rivers running through the parking lots and the mud is out of control. I love to watch my son race but I am not big on standing around in the cold rain and mud and 4 of us crammed into 10 square feet of living space for 2 1/2 days....

Homeschooling: We started the week bad. It got better.

3 comments:

OnTheBit said...

I don't think any of us were questioning you trying to keep your daughter safe. I mean, if she did wear a helmet in the western classes I doubt a judge would place her. Which is STUPID, but the way it is. I think we all just kind of wish that things were different. In dressage NO ONE wears a helmet without being made fun of at the FEI levels...even the juniors (under 16). It shouldn't be like that. Also...I never knew your kids were adopted...that is very cool! I hope to adopt myself some day (the running joke is that my bleeding heart self is going to get a "litter" because I wont be able to say no. I think one kid would be plenty for me though!!)

Grey Horse Matters said...

I think it should be a rule that no matter what your discipline is ...western or english, if you are on a horse you need to be wearing a helmet. I know it's not traditional but there have been lots of injuries and deaths from horse riding accidents that could have been prevented by wearing a helmet. My kids have never gotten on a horse without one and neither have I. I can personally tell you the helmets have saved our bacon a lot of times. Like your judge.

Tracey said...

Rain...why does it have to be rain???

Helmets are real issue when you start showing breed, undoubtedly. I think you've done a great job at setting up guidelines that will help her realize how important it is to be safe, while at the same time allow her to be normal in the ring.

I went to ride today and heard Darling holler from the house, "Where's your helmet!" Um...I don't know? "Use mine!" LOL...