Wednesday, October 28, 2009

After the show...

Horses: The show we attended this past weekend was a 3 day show with 4 judges each day. It was put on by the two Michigan Paint Horse clubs and is called the Fall Color Classic. It was at the MSU Pavillion (all indoors and heated!) and was by far the toughest competition we've ever seen. Apparently all the year end point chasers come to this show from all over to compete and pick up extra points to either keep them #1 or push them ahead of someone else. It was nuts.

That being said, Equestrian Girl didn't do all that bad considering we were nowhere close to the league of some of those people with their $30,000 horses, $2000 outfits, $5000 saddles, $150,000 trailers, etc. She placed in about half her classes and even got a 2nd in one class.


Our friends Shannon and Don came on Friday to watch and help coach Madison. They have been the best!


This isn't even the whole class for Hunter under Saddle - I couldn't fit them all in the picture from the angle I was sitting!





Equestrian Girl wasn't feeling all that great all weekend but she tried her best and looked beautiful as always. She was slightly miffed with me that she was the only one wearing a helmet with a chin strap and not a hunt cap but I think she understands. What I don't understand is why APHA doesn't REQUIRE children under age 18 to wear safety approved helmets at shows. It's only going to take one...


The Western Pleasure Classes were just as big and just as competitive as the English classes. We were hoping with all the western work we've done to do a little better but it didn't happen - a combination of horse and rider not feeling so hot along with super tough competition.



These are our friends Sheri, Sandhya, & Kristin. We shared a tack stall with them again this show. We had been bumping into Sheri and Sandhya at both Paint and Spur shows all summer when we finally figured out that we all live fairly close together and are doing the same shows. They've been a big help in coaching Equestrian Girl when she gets bummed out.



And of course, we always get a picture of Equestrian Girl with her Daddy!



Stanley did phenomenal in trail. Equestrian Girl messed up the pattern the first time out but the horse was stellar. He's doing so much better getting over the ground poles.



Because our tack stall was on the main isle we got to decorate! Ours was pretty last minute and not too fancy but others sure were!


Here's one that brought out way more than I've ever used to even decorate our house!


Nobody got much sleep at night so barn sleeping was quite popular. Even in show clothes and helmets.


Scott snuck this picture of me and Equestrian Girl from quite a distance away. It's hard to see my sweatshirt but it has Standards Gold Watch on front and back and Equestrian Girl's permanent number, 1111, on the sleeve.

In all it was a fun but exhausting show. We were all so tired by the time we got home on Sunday night I'm not sure we could have done any more.

Motocross: We are tentatively scheduled to got to the Baja Monster Mash race this weekend but the weather isn't looking so great. Lots of rain in our fall forecast this year... Last year was a lot of fun as Scott and I drove the golf cart from camper to camper following the kids as they ran in their costumes trick or treating. I think they had as much fun there as they did at home a few days later.

Homeschooling: We took two days off last week because we left at noon on Thursday for the horse show. I was feeling a bit guilty about it but it seems every other kid in the state has been out sick for at least a week and so many schools are closed it doesn't seem to matter all that much. We should still be on track to be done with our main curriculum by early April...

5 comments:

OnTheBit said...

I am glad you made your daughter wear a real helmet! It is SOOOOO hard to parents to understand why having an approved safety helmet is so important. They feel like if everyone else is wearing a hunt cap then a hunt cap is okay. And at least you let your daughter wear a cowboy hat. I can honestly say that if I ever have kids and they want to show western there mean mommy is going to put a helmet on them and make them look very uncool.

PaintCrazy said...

That's why I wish they would just make it a LAW that all children under 18 have to wear helmets. Period. I do make her wear one in the practice arena at all times no matter what. That's where the accidents happen the most but I did give in on the western hat for classes...grudgingly so.

Grey Horse Matters said...

I don't know what I would do if I had to insist on a Western helmet hat for the western half of the shows. I know there would be a fight and I would win. But I never had to enforce it either since my daughters only competed English.

Anyway, it sounds like a big show but a lot of fun. I know how exhausting a long show can be believe me. I'm glad your daughter did so well even though she didn't feel well. Congratulations!

Laura said...

So glad you have your daughter wear a helmet with a strap. Better safe than sorry - like you said, it only takes one little thing for an accident... I also find that sometimes the kids in those age groups aren't the best at traffic control and controlling their horses, so things can sometimes get a bit hairy. Maybe it's better at that level...

You guys are awesome parents for all the fun shows and motocross you do for your kids! Want to adopt me? I have a good job and everything! lol

PaintCrazy said...

Sure Laura! We are very pro-adoption - both of our kids are adopted from Latvia. We can handle a Canadian adult! Especially one with a JOB. :)