Sunday, August 12, 2018

Camping Trip

With the multitude of stressors in our lives this year, I had decided "getting away from it all" for a few days with Austin would be a good idea.  Originally we had planned on an up north tent camping trip but when I figured on all the stuff I would need to acquire or borrow, a cabin seemed like a good idea. Since the cabin I found at Brighton Rec (close - only miles from home!) had 4 bunk beds, we invited Madison and cousin Olivia to join us.

The first evening was a bit gloomy.  It had rained in the afternoon but the skies lightened a bit after dinner (which we ended up having to cook on the camp stove inside the cabin instead of over the fire...but a boiled hot dog is good too!) and we lit the bon fire. My Girl Scout skills kicked in and we were up and running.


Our cute little cabin with no electric, no water, also had this pretty new deck overlooking the lake in the distance.


Alas, the break in the weather didn't last very long and we had to quickly abandon the fire to move back inside where we had a rousing Uno tournament by mini lantern and candle light.


The next morning the clouds were much lighter and we had hopes of a decent day.




After a trip to the corner store for a very large cup of coffee (I didn't have time to get a converter for my truck so I could bring my coffee pot and I don't have a camp style pot!), we set off on a short hike. You can see how the road is a bit washed out from all the rain.


Click on this link to see our route:

Relive 'Walked 2.92 mi on 08/07/18'



By the time we got back from our hike, the sun was out in force and I hung the hammocks that we use in the horse trailer.  Austin tested it out first and was quite sure it would collapse under his weight.  I kept telling him his butt was only 3 inches from the ground so it wouldn't hurt!



Olivia loved, loved, loved the hammock!



No comments: