Sunday, January 3, 2010

Who can homeschool?

Homeschooling: I'm often asked how I can possibly remember all one needs to know to be a teacher to my kids. The secret is...you don't have to remember much at all. I was thinking about that this morning as I watched a 45 minute movie on the Marianas Trench, took notes, and wrote a quiz. The Marianas Trench is the deepest place on earth. Earlier today I had no idea where that place might be. Had no idea there was a place called the Marianas Trench. And certainly had no clue that it's nearly 7 miles beneath the ocean floor! It's a mile deeper than Mt. Everest is tall.

Next I moved on to American Government. I do have a vague recollection of that subject and it's kind of hard to ignore how it's working lately but to make sure I don't mess up, I'm using an interactive DVD by Standard Deviants. After watching the first chapter I decided to take the quiz. Here's the first question:


I answered TRUE.
Oops.

There were 4 more questions about Chapter 1 and I got the rest right. I should have taken notes and studied! My kids will. They'll also take the quiz on paper so they can't cheat.

I actually really like how the information on government is presented by young actors using both serious points of fact and humor. I laughed out loud at the name they made up for The Articles of the Confederation before explaining that our forefathers didn't really use that.

I'm even kind of enjoying my recycled 6th and 7th grade education. Probably more so than I did when I was doing it the first time. I highly recommend it.


No comments: