Sunday, September 22, 2019

Skyline Natural Area - North Country Trail


My only full day in Petoskey led me to the Skyline Natural Area section of the North Country Trail.  Hartwick Pine were pretty but this blew them away.  Just solid tall pine as far as I could see.


If the trail hadn't been marked really well, it would be easy to just wander off because you really couldn't tell based on the ground it was so perfectly covered in pine needles!


As you descended a big hill, you followed the trail along a series of switchbacks to make the journey a little easier on the UP hill climb.


After a mile or two, you follow through a really overgrown stretch of trail that leads you to this outlook!  The day was a bit over-cast so it wasn't stunning but I can only imagine what it looks like in the fall!  Wow!


After that hike, I stopped at a park just up the street from Bay Harbor along Lake Michigan.  One end of it overlooks a small inlet where there are docks that back up to the houses along Lake Michigan.  Most of the big boats and yachts were already gone for the season.


This is a really rocky section of the lakeshore - no sand here!


I was in my element after all the hiking!


Even built me a little rock stack!


And then spotted these black eye Susans growing in the rocks...tough little things!


Another water bottle selfie while expressing my joy of being outdoors up north - just feeling awesome!


No comments: