Monday, January 10, 2011

Cold Weather - Warm Tummy

Anyone who knows me well knows I don't particularly like to cook or bake.  I do because we need to eat and I have kids that I have to feed semi-healthy and nutritious food.  So most nights I manage to cook something.

Last night I made a casserole that was very easy but everyone loved it.  I wish I had taken pictures because it sort of looked good too and there was a ton left over.

I'm not much into measuring but I don't think any of it much matters.

Chicken and Rice Casserole

About 3-4 cups of cooked rice (I used leftovers)
About 3-4 cups torn up cooked chicken (I bought a whole cooked chicken from Costco for $5 and tore all the meat off it (tossed the skin).  I kept about 1/4 of what I had to use for chicken salad later)
1 can Cream of Celery Soup
1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
A couple big spoons of sour cream (you could skip this if you didn't have any)
About 1/2 an onion - chopped and sautéed in a bit of butter (this could be skipped too but we like onions and I think it counts as a vegetable)
Some shredded cheese (anything with some orange color to it would work)

Mix everything together except the cheese in a big bowl.
Dump it all in a casserole dish.  Smooth it out and sprinkle the cheese on top.
Put it in the oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until it's hot all the way through.

You could also dump it all in a big crock pot to heat up.

Or put half in the crock pot/casserole and freeze the other half because this does make quite a lot.

This meets all my requirements - it only took 2 bowls/pans/cooking things, all are ingredients I usually have around, it was quite good, and the kids loved it.  Served with green beans and it was probably fairly nutritious too...

No comments: