Sunday, January 9, 2011

Book Review


I don't get to read "real" books nearly as often as I used to or as much as I'd like to.  I do manage to finish one every month or so on my iPod listening on my commutes to work or meetings around the state.  I've found myself turning away from the thrillers and mysteries that I used to like so much to historical fiction, and even biographies.  I recently finished the Keith Richard's biography...and I wasn't ever even a big Stones fan!

Not Without My Sister   wasn't anything like I've read in the past.  It's a true story about three little girls born into a cult that had spread world wide in the 70's.  To say it was good wouldn't be the right word.  It was disturbing.  It was heartbreaking.  It was awful.  Not the writing.  What was awful was what happened to these children as their parents sat back and ignored it all under the guise of religion.  Horrible.  It's a book that you don't want to keep reading but have to find out if these sister are okay.  But could anyone actually BE okay after living that kind of life?

It makes you very thankful for your very normal, very boring, very middle class childhood.

No comments: