Wednesday, October 14, 2020

NC Covid Tripping Part 2

 

Leslie and I are both pretty experienced travelers - she even more so than me - and we've read a good many maps in our days so it kinda amused both of us how difficult we found it to read some of these darn trail maps!  But in the end, we did pretty good and found most of the places we set out to visit.


I have always been amazed by trees and the crazy places they manage to grow sometimes. This one fit that bill - it's straddling this big rock like it's an egg.


One of the smaller waterfalls we saw.  Love, love, love the sound of the rushing water.


I think this is in front of triple falls - which counted as THREE falls on an 8 falls hike.  Not really a fair count in my opinion.  


This is part of bridal veil falls.  I hiked up that left side on the dry rock to the very top of it which is around the curve at the top of the pic. 


This was our view of the falls from where we sat on some rocks for a snack break before I hiked up.


In the dry sections, there were lots of these little bowls holding old water.  I'm assuming the water is from recent rains or when the rains swell the waterfalls enough to flow over all the rocks.


This was looking back down at Leslie who is sitting in the shadows of the tree with my teal blue backpack in front of her.  We had watched a guy who looked like he knew was he was doing hike up first and then after talking to him, I decided it was worth trying.  It was awesome!


This was the top section of the falls.


This is back down near the bottom but looking all the way to the top.


All these falls were just so pretty!  Looking back at these pics now while its full fall color here in Michigan makes me want to go there in the fall season next time to see the beautiful colors!


I think it was Hooker Falls here where we sat along the edge and soaked our tired feet in the cold water.


And took a selfie!

And then I snuck one in of Leslie enjoying a moment of solitude.


Despite, or maybe because, of our many years of friendship, we have become quite good travel companions!


A rare patch of quiet water!


In front of the Asheville Museum of Art.  It was closed due to Covid.  We just happened to walk past on our trot around the city looking for a place to eat dinner.  

I posted the pic below on Facebook a few days ago and several people commented how good I looked. I had to laugh.  After we got done hiking this day, we changed from our sweaty shorts and t-shirts into our summer-ish dresses in the car for our "night on the town" (more like early bird dinner special!!!) in Asheville.  On the way back to the cabin, we traveled part of the Blue Ridge Parkway and stopped at several of the "scenic turnouts" with their amazing views of the mountains.  


Beautiful perfection of nature!



No comments: