Sunday, August 1, 2010

Cock-a-doodle-do!!!

Last spring we raised a few chicks that later went on to show at the 4-H fair.  Well, one of them did.  The other two met their fate at their new home when a wild beast discovered a tasty dinner.  But none of our chicks looked like these.  I know chickens come in lots of sizes and shapes but I was seriously surprised that there were THIS many varieties!

This is what I think of when I think of a chicken.  MY eggs come from chickens that look like this.  I'm just sure of it.  Maybe.

I believe this is a rooster.  He was not happy to have his photo taken.

I think this was his wife.  She might be laying an egg.

I thought this was a grouse.  It's not.

She didn't like her photo taken either though she was quite beautiful.

Or maybe my eggs come out of chickens like this one.  

This one attacked me after the flash went off!

If not for that little black beak I'm not sure I could tell this one front from back!

This pair must have been good.  They got conjugal visits.

I don't think I've ever seen softer looking feathers.  She was like down all over.

This big guy won my award for longest feathers.

His reverse image buddy was a close second.

Mr. Big Guy scared me.  Isn't that the evil eye?

Lessons learned:  chickens come in all shapes and sizes and some do NOT like getting their picture taken at all.  



No comments: